Fordham University Law Library
This guide will provide resources for empirical legal research including information on data sets and statistical packages.
Last Updated: Feb 15, 2016
- USPTO Statistics page: produced by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, this site gives statistics on patents and trademarks for the fiscal year.
- Patent Data Project: includes US Patent Data from 1976-2006. Patent owner information is matched with Compustat firm identification.
- OECD Patent Statistics: presently only contains information on patents but the OECD appears to be developing statistics on trademarks as well.
- Eurostat: the statistical office of the European Union. This site contains data on patents. Under "Database by themes", click on "Science and technology" and look for "Patent statistics".
- CIELA: a database of information on Chinese intellectual property cases. The database was created by Rouse, an intellectual property firm. The database contains more than 10,000 judgments since 2006. The database allows comparison between cities and shows rates of wins/losses, average damages sought and awarded, as well as rates of injunctions. The data can be broken down by IP right, industry sector or court.