Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Dockets are a great way to gain insight into individual cases. They contain information about the court, counsel, parties, and the nature of the case. Depending on the case, a record of the proceedings might be available. eCourts is the best method with which to access dockets. However, subscription services, like Bloomberg, Westaw, and Lexis, also provide access.
eCourts is the docket service of the New York State Unified Court System. eCourts can be accessed at https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/ecourtsMain. eCourts contains dockets for local civil cases, supreme court civil cases, criminal cases, and family court cases. eCourts also makes it easy to track pending civil and criminal cases from participating courts through eTrack alerts. eTrack alerts can be accessed at https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/etrackLogin. You will need to create an account to log in.
- WebFamily contains cases from every family court in New York
- You can search by file/docket number, attorney/firm, or court calendar
- WebFamily can be accessed at https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fcasfamily/main
- WebFamily only contains pending cases
Subscription services, like Bloomberg, Westlaw, and Lexis, also provide access to dockets. However, their scope of coverage is not as comprehensive as that which is available on eCourts. The main advantage of subscription services is derived from their enhanced search capabilities (i.e., it is easier to perform keyword searches on a subscription service than it is on eCourts).
- Select civil dockets are available on Bloomberg
- You can search by keyword, court, filing type, party, judge, docket number, date, attorney/firm, case name, case status, or case type
- From the homepage, go to Dockets Search. Look for Courts and click on the link for Browse Full List. Use the dropdown menu to expand the options for State Court Dockets & Case Information, then use the dropdown menu to expand the options for New York. You can select a particular county, multiple counties, or all counties.
- Select civil dockets are available on Westlaw
- You can search by party, index/docket number, keyword, nature of suit, date, attorney/firm, or judge
- From the homepage, go to State materials. Select New York and look for the link on the right side of the page for New York State Dockets. You can select a particular county, multiple counties, or all counties.
- Select civil dockets are available on Lexis
- You can search by keyword, docket number, court, date, judge, party, attorney, or firm
- From the homepage, go to State. Select New York and scroll down the page until you see Case Related Materials. Click on All New York Dockets, then click on Dockets New York Supreme Court.